Tuesday, March 18, 2008

The Kid's birthday

It wasn't 20, but actually 36 years ago today :-) that my daughter was born. She missed St. Patrick's day by a only a couple of hours, but still, it has always been easy to remember the date!! Last February she moved 3000 miles away, so this is the 2nd time we have not been together on this special occasion. We hope to organize a real visit soon. Meanwhile, I "celebrated" by doing my normal Tuesday routine (ha ha). We did visit briefly on the phone this morning-and of course I sent gifts.

While I am not yet into full training mode for the Transrockies (TR), I am (at least) working out on a consistent basis. In trying to come back from a slight hamstring pull and prepare for the (13th annual) Calistoga-to-Santa Cruz (CA) relay (www.therelay.com) (April 19-20) I've been diligent in increasing my time and intensity level on the elliptical trainer (ugh), have added some stairmaster (double ugh), and some short runs on the treadmill (and even a few outdoors on the weekends). So far (fingers crossed) things seem okay. The "real" TR training begins after recovery from The Relay--which will make May-August a truly memorable time. I'm hoping the TR folks beef up their website and forum to help us less competitive types keep motivated over the next few months.

The Rabbi has a very physical job which burns lots of calories (mine is sedentary) but does not provide the specific training benefits needed for the TR. He's having a bit more trouble getting motivated to run regularly--and he's not looking forward to the upcoming (very) long long runs this summer. Good thing I'm at least getting him started now.

I will try to post some of the training log--but I won't be posting my weight or my calorie intake! Training for an event like this is entirely new to me so it will be interesting to see how it goes. Wish us the best! More soon....

No comments: