Tuesday, May 20, 2008

Heat Wave!!

Stats: (05/09 – 05/16) Elliptical: 140 minutes; stair stepper: 55 min; Run (total) 35.7 mi. (4 street, 8.6 tmill, 23.1 trail)

Training seems to have hit a plateau: M-u-s -t f-i-x s-c-h-e-d-u-l-e….I have to be able to do more, longer, “hillier” runs. Did finally get out and purchase a new pair of trail running shoes. Currently I am planning on bringing at least 2 pair of trail shoes for the TR – especially if we have water crossings (see 2007 video).

Well, I had predicted it. I had said that the good (cool) weather couldn’t last. We have now been hit with a record setting heat wave. It was 99 in San Jose last Thursday. I just can’t run when it is that hot (and it’s not recommended to do so!) It is supposed to cool down in a day or 2. I need a little transition time, at least before “summer” temperatures set in.
On another front --
The Higher Peak machine arrived Friday. It’s kinda heavy ;-)
I wish it was lighter so it would be more portable. Let’s put it this way: I will not be schlepping it to the gym or office!

Finally got it set up Sunday evening. Obviously will take a bit of getting used to. However, I’m optimistic—I spent a number of years as a teenager sleeping on brush hair curlers – the face mask’s got nuthin’ on that! Not sure if da Rabbi will find it quite as easy, since he has more difficulty sleeping than I do.

Speaking of the Rabbi, I am trying to get him to write some posts for this blog. He is a much better and much more entertaining writer than I.

1 comment:

Sat Sandhu said...

Hey Judy - you're not blogged in a while...

We're beginning to worry that you've had some sort of mishap with the Higher Peak trainer.

Stick you head out and breathe ;)

Hope lack of blogging means you're having too much "fun" training :)

Laters
Sat